Friday, March 19, 2010

More shit that pisses me off...


OK. I know it seems like all I ever do is bitch about shit that pisses me off, but if I'm not bitching about something and say something nice, like, a really touching handwritten letter I recieved, I'm considered a pussy.

Well, I'm NOT a pussy.

OK?

So here goes' another rant of something that should piss you off too, that is if you can read this in your native language.

That is English I'll assume at this point.

When I was sent to West Germany in 1985 in the Army, I tried my best to learn some German and used it frequently while I was out amongst the German population. Never mind that most Germans I met while I was there spoke better English than I did, I did it out of respect for the peoples and the country I was in.

So I can now order a beer, a wurst, find the toilet and get my face slapped by a pretty Fraulein in any Gasthous in Bavaria...

That's not the point.

I tried to learn the language.

Now I'm in the position of working with several, ehem, multilingual people.

We'll all be in the break room having coffee and one will inexplicably break out in (insert language of your choice other than English here) and start talking to another guy in said language...

In front of us all.

That pisses me off.

If you can't say it in English in mixed company, shut the FUCK up!

They don't even try to be fucking subtle.

What really bothers me most is that the said persons have no idea where I've been. The have no idea that I also spent three years in Central America and Habla a shitload more Espainiol than the average Gringo Penthejo (Stupid White Guy) than I let on and it just plain pisses me off to no end that these fuckers who can speak English very well are talking shit about myself, my race and Country right in front of me think they can just get away with it.

If you're going to live here, learn English.

If you want to speak your own language, speak it among yourselves or excuse your self with your mate to chat it up in private...

If you're in company of people who don't speak your language, Just shut the fuck up already! to do otherwise is just plain fucking ignorant!

Again, I can't believe I have to get this angry over this shit...

Copyright 2010 Thomas J Wolfenden

17 comments:

ExtraO said...

I have heard people complain many times about this. I find it interesting because I have often been in that very same situation but have never been annoyed by it. I guess I just don't care what they're talking about. Also, even if someone is making an effort to learn English it doesn't mean they will instantaneously be fluent... so should they just not talk at all until they are proficient or go ahead and talk in their native language when they come across someone else who does? I hear what you're saying though.

Anonymous said...

Preach it RT!

Stormin said...

Oddly enough, I have had a couple of people speaking German (in front of me at a soccer game) make a comment about a buddy of mine. As loud as possible, I said "Dave, you don't speak German so I will translate. That guy just said; 'I can't believe the fat Americans behind us. They don't know shit about soccer.' And his friend agreed with him."

Dave is a big MF'er.

Needless to say, they said NOTHING for the remainder of the game.

You make a good point though when it comes to the language. These people were obviously Seattle tourists. I get that.
Residents are another thing entirely.

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Extra: Thanks for stopping by! Well, I understand where you're coming from also, but I think you missed my point a little. These two gentlemen I work with speak fluent, unaccented English, and are completely bilingual. The just see me, and several of my other workmates as "Stupid Gringos" and have no Idea I understand a lot more of what they say in their language than they think I do.

The just assume because I'm white, I'm stupid and that is what I find offensive.

Leazwell: I'm' tryin' I'm tryin'! But will more people listen?

Stormin: That reminds me of a story once in my previous life in law enforcement... My partner and I had a suspect in the back of our cruiser on the way to the station who "No Habla Englais" or so he said, and we knew better... My partner and I winked at each other and started conversing in German...

All of a sudden, this guy breaks out with; "Hey motherfuckers! What kind of language is that?!?!"

I turned around in my seat, looked at him and grinned...

"Oh" Sez I. "I thought you didn't habla?"

The look on his face was precious!

Bryn said...

I see the same thing happening with depressing frequency here in Wales.
We are an area that depends a great deal on tourism, so it baffles me to see locals who have been chatting away in English switch to Welsh when anyone else goes near them.... total and utter pig ignorance...
I usually manage to confuse them though, as although I speak Welsh fluently, my English accent is a strange cross of Geordie and North Wales. In my time, I've been accused of being everything from Scandinavian to South African....!
Regards from Druidland...

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Bryn: It's so damn frustrating...

UBERMOUTH said...

I know what that is like.I married a Turk who would always tal Turish to his friends even though thir English was fine. I gueess i's just easeeir for them to talk in their mother tongues. But the first thing I had him do was teahc me all the bad words in his language and then I'd sit there swearing to join in,which made HIM look bad.

I suggest you do that. ust throw out cusswords in their language like you're trying to join in.

Just telling it like it is said...

What you a puss..PALA Please! your a real manly man..I said so!

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Uber: That's exactly what I do, because the fun part of learning any new language is to learn all the rude words and phrases first, that way you can sound like a real local right away!

Just Telling It: If you say so... Right now I don't feel like one. But I'm definitely no pussy.

UBERMOUTH said...

Hahah with all my typoes one would find it hard to believe English is my Mother Tongue. I have sticking keys and my speed typing doesn't help[match with no keyboarding skills whatsoever].

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Uber: I'm the same way... Typing wise. My fingers go faster than my brain sometimes, but I've got a new keyboard because I kept spilling beer on my old one...

Kimberly said...

So if you were in the south, in my company and I broke out into my twangy, drawlie southern slang it would piss you off?

Just telling it like it is said...

Awe
Tom...Your a good man...don't ever forget that..hugs

FishEagle said...

Since we've had 99% blacks in the New! Improved! South African government, I've had to sit in official meetings sometimes where the guys spoke in their indigenous language. Couldn't understand a word of it! They're supposed to speak English, but in reality they just couldn't care less. I take comfort in the fact that I probably don't miss much :)

UBERMOUTH said...

At the risk of you never talking to me again, DID YOU KNOW THAT DARN GIRL IS THE SPHERE'S BLOWJOB QUEEN????????
Sorry, HH, Guess I can't keep a secret,either. hahahahaha* kiss*

When yo' goin' to post, boyo?

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Uber: Are we stirring shit again? I knew there was a reason I like you!

Just telling it like it is said...

Where the Hell have you been I need attention...Please