Friday, April 15, 2005

Back in combat boots

I did it.

I went up to Charleston on Wednesday to get my physical for the Army National guard. I don't know who was more shocked, me or the doctor.

Seems I passed the physical with flying colors. Even the hearing test I passed with ease. The technition had to run the numbers twice to make sure the machine was working. He showed me the results and said: "You've gotten a score 19 year-olds would kill for."

Seems the only deficit in the hearing department is in the left ear at the 6000 mhz range, which is apparently the exact same frequency of my ex-wife's voice...

So, I actually passed the enlistment physical at 39. Not bad.

Even my eyesight was what it was when I was 21 years old, 20/17. The only thing I'm actually waiting on is the blood work, which should take about two weeks.

After the physical, I was taken into a room and had a long talk with my recruiter again. We discussed my options. I'm losing three pay grades, going back as an E-2, but I don't have to go through basic training again. My original MOS (military occupational specialty) the army no longer has, so I'm going back in as a M-2 Bradley AFV crewman. I'll be in either HHC, 1/150 Armor or "C" Co. 1/150 Armor in the Cavalry section. Sometime in the next few months I'll be sent to Ft. Knox, Kentucky for four weeks to get MOS qualified.

I agreed and was sworn in after he hunted down the WO2.

The unit I'll be joining has just returned from a 13-month tour in Iraq, so the chances of me heading into the sandbox anytime soon are slim, but the good thing is I'll be able to glean a wealth of current combat experience from the men in my platoon.

I must be crazy...

Copyright 2005 Thomas J Wolfenden

No comments: