Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Makes you think...

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness."
"I would rather die on my feet, than live on my knees"
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth"
~George Washington
Found maxims from our first President while going through some quotes tonight. Apt, the way the country is going theses days I think. I like all three, but the third really strikes home. I wonder if Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi understand it.
Doubt it.
Makes you wonder what he was thinking over two hundred years ago, doesn't it?
I love quotes.
Especially from great men, greater men than I.
Quotes George Washington, circa 1780
Other bullshit text Copyright 2009 Thomas J Wolfenden

6 comments:

honkeie said...

No man that has ever lived has done a thing to please God--primarily. It was done to please himself, then God next.
- Mark Twain, a Biography
I love Mark Twain quotes!

Becky said...

Unfortunately, I think Nancy and Obama realize the function of the second amendment all too well... hence their desire to remove it. You cannot force people into collectivism when they have the means to resist.

Its modern leftist propaganda that wants us to think that our Founding Fathers words are outdated, when in fact, people have changed so very little in 200+ years that its scary (take a look at 20th century europe, Freedom was completely reversed by communism in the 1950's).

Freedom is always worth fighting for.

Big Daddy said...

Dude! I wish I could be that eloquent! Thanks for sharing. Oh, and dude, thanks for the email! Check back in a few weeks I'm having a backlog since a major computer malfunction a coupla' weeks ago.

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Honkeie: I love quotes too. That one from Mark Twain is so true! Thanks for it!

Becky: Unfortunately most people today refuse to remember history, and now I fear we're bound to repete it.

Big Daddy: No worries!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to think that we will have a "fighting" chance when all else fails but indications are otherwise.

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Leazwell: They try to take away our guns and we'll have a fighting chance. At least I hope so.