Monday, November 14, 2005

Busy weekend

I sure picked a good time to join the volunteer fire department.
Two MVA's and three brushfires on Saturday. Those I didn't officially go out on but stayed at the station on "Stand By" but I have been learning a lot. It's going to be a while before I get to really do stuff because the next firefighter class doesn't start again until the spring.
It's also bringing back a lot of memories and I'm remembering at lot of things that I thought I had forgotten but picked right back up on.
Yesterday, for instance. We were paged for yet another MVA just north of town on Rt. 20. I got to the station at about the time when dispatch requested us to set up a LZ (landing zone) for the med-evac helicopter to land at the College. We arrived there meeting the campus cops and set up the LZ at the football field.
Soon the helo arrived and I jumped right in with both feet assisting the flight nurse and paramedics transfer the patient from the ambulance to the helo. I acted as if I had been doing it for years. I knew just what to do and when... Even though it's been over eight years since I've done anything remotely like it.
Maybe this is really good for me. I think it is.
But I do have to get used to that damn pager going off... And sleeping around it. At least it does tell me what kind of call it is, as for right now I'm basically pretty useless on medical calls. There's enough EMT's & paramedics on the squad to cover them, and if I did respond to them I'd just be in the way.
Anyway, I'm learning a lot, fitting in nicely (they're just about as nutty as me...) and I think maybe I'll do this for a while.
I also sorted out the bullshit with my landlord, sort of. He came banging at my door ar 6 PM last night (the reason I didn't make the first page for the MVA) but we did get the misunderstanding straightened out. I am still seriously looking for a new place though. I don't know how much more I can stand of his "memory lapses" and mood swings.
It rained most of the night too, so hopefully there won't be any brushfires in the next few days.
Copyright 2005 Thomas J Wolfenden

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Volunteer Fire Dept huh? Firefighters are hot. Any young cute ones available? :0)

Courtney O. said...

It's awesome that you're doing something so valuable with your time! You get the gold star for citizenship this month!!!

Becky said...

If volunteer firefighters are anything like National Guardsmen on "drill" weekends... there's a lot of beer-drinking and story-telling in the off hours. Am I right? :)

But seriously... sounds like work you're cut out for. Fits Tom to a T.