Thursday, May 05, 2005

The Bi-Polar Express

When I moved to West Virginia I didn't know many people, but since settling I met a few people and made some friends, but again I find myself the conductor on the Bi-Polar Express.

Today I was supposed to go to Charleston with a friend I met but I just couldn't go at this point. Every time I'd suggest to do something with this person, I'd get "Are you sure you want to?" or "Do you really want to do that?"

Didn't I suggest it?

Well, if I didn't want to do it or spend time with you I wouldn't ask, now would I?

"Hey, I hear there's a good flea-market up in Hinton... Want to go?"

"Yeah, I'd like that."

ten minutes later...

"Are you sure you want to go?"

Pull over. Let me go over to that rock outcropping so I can smack my head against it repeatedly.

Yesterday was the last straw. My friend asked me to ride up to Charleston with them today. I said sure, I'd love to go, I'll just let my boss know I can't work that day.

Ok. That's set. I'm going to Charleston on Thursday.

Not.

Right after I was asked to go to Charleston, the questions started.

Three weeks ago.

"Are you sure you want to go?"

Over and over again, almost daily. Then yesterday a terse phone call.

"Look, Tom. If you have to work tomorrow I'll make other arrangements and you don't have to go if you don't want to..."

D'oh!

How many times did I say I was going? How many times did I tell you I was taking the day off so I could go with you? If I didn't want to go, I wouldn't have said I would in the first GODDAMN place!

I'm done. I'm getting off this train at the next stop. You never know when this train is going to switch tracks.

I want to work on the railroad, but I'm definitely not signing up to be the conductor on the Bi-Polar Express!

Copyright 2005 Thomas J Wolfenden

2 comments:

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Too true... And this is a guy from my gun club... Scary, huh?

Becky said...

Roses are red
Violets are Blue
Bi-polar is bad
It's true, it's true

Thanks for the giggle... but man is that scary thinking about that guy with a weapon!