Sunday, January 14, 2007

Half way?

So the other day I said we were at the half-way point in the crop. To me it feels like we've ground to a halt for some reason.
For the past month or so we've been running our collective asses off, leaving the yard as soon as we punch in and never getting back to the depot until it's time to punch out...
But the last two nights we've been dead. One run, that's all. Around 1:30 this morning Jack and I finally leave the yard with 33 empties to take to one elevator and pick up 28 loads.
That's it.
Total elapsed time: One hour, thirty seven minutes.
I spent the last three hours of my shift sleeping in a lounge chair in the crew room. I used to think the army was the only place in the world I could do absolutely nothing and still get paid. And the most ironic thing is I've been on overtime since Friday.
I don't know what's worse, running your ass of or doing nothing.
At least I was able to catch up on some sleep.
Copyright 2007 Thomas J Wolfenden

7 comments:

Kerry said...

Doing nothing is worse. Time flies by when you're running your butt off. I think so, anyways....

Mrs. S. said...

The last job I had I was paid an obscene amount of money to basically sit and play on the internet. Once I actually had something to do, but it only took me like, an hour where it usually took the other girl days and I was back to playing games.. I hated it soooo much because I was away from my daughter so much. I quit. It was the best choice I ever made.. I could still sit and play games with my daughter on my lap and the benefits were much better!! :)

mist1 said...

I've never run my a$$ off, but I have run a little behind.

cantellya said...

Ya lazy ass!

cmk said...

I like being at home: I can run my ass off OR do nothing--my own choice. Heaven!

FHB said...

Paid to sleep? Sounds like a good gig to me.

Rebecca said...

I must admit I have napped on the job before. One of the perks of coming in hours before others especially when the boss if out of town and isn't there to catch me.