Thursday, January 04, 2007

Random & Weird railroad pictures

An alligator I spied one morning in a canal next to a switchstand...
Sunrise behind my locomotive this morning...
My best bud here, JP (left) who is the "Dump" conductor, and his engineer, Robert in the crew room at the depot.
Some graffiti on one of our covered sugar hoppers, ones like this one are what I build my "outbound" train every morning. I'll have anywhere from ten to forty loads like this I have to put together every morning before 7 AM. Each one holds close to 100,000 pounds of pure refined sugar in bulk. I'm going to start an album of just the graffiti I see. Some is very creative and artistic, like the one pictured above...
Some decidedly not so creative and artistic...
Yet another dead turtle carcass...
A Banyan tree stump out on the main line. I took this photo to give a little perspective but that really didn't work...
So here's another perspective. Mind you, that's me standing there and I'm 6' 2 1/2" tall...

Copyright 2007 Thomas J Wolfenden

12 comments:

Mrs. S. said...

Oh my.. If I were to see a gator while I was out somewhere.. Well, let's just say that first I'd say it.. Then I'd more than likely do it, right where I stood!

honkeie said...

I am a big fan of good graffit art. I would love to see what you have found.
And that is some big wood you got there!

Lisa said...

The thought that a gator can be so close and you'd never know. Gah!

Love the photos.

Checked on your blog a few days ago when you issued the apology... Didn't comment. Sounds like you both are stressed out. I hope you two can work things out...

Kat_womanx2 said...

The pics are great...you look well..I have been trying to download a few of the puppy we took...looks ok then its not there when I check...what is up with that??

tsduff said...

Gorgeous sunset with locomotive picture. Absolutely beautiful. I do like trains.

mist1 said...

Great shots.

weatherchazer said...

Gators like that cross my path on a daily basis (What can you expect when you're part of the Great Dismal Swamp?) But the sunrise is awesome. I haven't seen one that sensational since I lived on the sound!

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

The graffit art thing would be something great to see. Go for it!

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Red: (oops, I meant Burg) Actually I see a lot of them, but they actually run away from people. I was lucky enough to get this picture.

Honkeie2: It's genetics.

Lisa: Gators aren't too bad. It's the goddamn mosquitoes that are going to kill me out here...

Kat: Looks like the puppy pics finally uploaded... I feel pretty good too, that is if you disregard the almost constant exhaustion, I'm feeling pretty good.

Tsduff: I did say sunrise, didn't I?

Mist1: Thanks

Weatherchazer: I see them every morning like that... They're spectacular. Great Dismal Swamp, huh? I remember Pogo... Do you?

Mushy: Working on it now... I missed getting one that's graffiti was a tad out dated... Said "The Ayatolla is an asshole..."

tsduff said...

Oh crap. Better get out my reading glasses. Sunrise, sunset - heck their both good :-)

Anonymous said...

Impressive stump.

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Tsduff: ;)

Leazwell: Again, it's genetics.