Tuesday, January 23, 2007

What will I do?

I've received several messages lately asking, "Ranger Tom, you keep saying about the crop ending... What will you do then?"
Well, I'm not 100% sure how it will go in the end, but here's the plan so far:
I keep on hearing that the crop will end anywhere from the middle of March and this year it might go on until the end of April. No one really knows for sure, so for the sake of argument I'm going to assume it's not going to end until the end of April. If it ends earlier, then that'll be a pleasant suprize.
After the crop is over and I'm laid off from work, I'm definitely going to head north back to Philadelphia for a few weeks to see family, scarf down a never-ending line of cheezesteaks and Italian hoagies...
After that I'm heading west... Short term there's a short-line railroad in southeastern Idaho that's extremely interested in me... Interested enough that I get an email from them about every two weeks saying "Any idea yet when you're available?" to a larger railroad a little further east of that in Casper, Wyoming that's hiring about 400 conductors a year for the next several years to take up the slack in the coal mining region on the Powder River Basin.
So west in a few months, and maybe Big Sky Country...
Now I really have to get to bed... I've been working shitloads of overtime and not getting enough sleep.
Copyright 2007 Thomas J Wolfenden

9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

You seem to have a moveable feast!

cmk said...

Great way to see the country--that is, as long as you get some time off! :)

Mrs. S. said...

Mmmmmm.. Cheezesteaks...

Lisa said...

For some reason that song "The Wanderer" popped into my head after I read this post.

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Cheese steak sandwiches were the primary reason I made a trip to Philly. And yeah, the historical sites were a close second.

I have actually been through Casper, Wy.

The RHS said...

Wyoming has to be some of the most beautiful country in the world. I loved Cheyenne.

FHB said...

Sounds like cool times.

tsduff said...

My sister lives in Caspar - I actually flew out there in October to visit. I've never seen so many hunters in their camy outfits...