Thursday, July 21, 2005

Another full moon

I should have known.

I had off from work last night, so yesterday instead of going to bed I decided to stay up for a while and get some things done, like the laundry and food shopping.

That didn't happen as I stayed up writing for a bit on my novel that'll never get published. So about 4 PM yesterday I shut down my computer and went to bed. I slept until about 2:30 this morning and it felt good not waking up to my alarm clock.

But now it was 2:30 AM, I'm wide away and have really nothing to do. Not that there's a whole hell of a lot to do in Athens at anytime.

So I grab a shower and get dressed and decide to go to the only place around that's open all night, the Omelet Shoppe in Princeton. I grab the newspaper out of the box in front of the place and head in, order up some coffee and read the goings-on in the rag and do the crossword.

Sitting in the booth behind me is three women, all in their mid-40's from the looks of it, and all had consumed more than their fair share of adult beverages from the sound of them.

One woman in particular was railing about her estranged husband, how he beat her and her kids, burned down her trailer, and since she was separated from him he had been stalking her.

I wasn't really trying to eavesdrop, but the way they were talking you couldn't help but hear everything. The woman with the psychotic husband kept getting up and playing sappy country songs on the jukebox and started giving me the eye every time she would stagger back to her friends.

Great.

I just wanted some eggs and hash browns, read the paper and do the crossword. Not to be the next chapter in some on-going soap opera.

So after the whole restaurant hears about her on-going troubles with hubby, they get up and leave. As soon as she gets into her car, the phone in the restaurant rings and the server answers. She then walks over to my booth and I think she's going to refill my coffee.

I thought wrong.

"Hey, are you single?" I'm asked.

"Who wants to know?"

"The girl who just left, the one with the short blonde hair..."

'You meant the little four foot tall troll with the psycho husband?' I though...

"Yes, I am single, but I'm not looking for anyone right now." I tell her, and with that she goes back to the phone and whispers for several minutes, and as she hangs up, I hear screeching tires in the parking lot and see the woman I've turned down burning rubber out of the lot. I guess I hurt her feelings by not finding her the most desirable woman on the planet and dropping everything in my life to fawn over her.

This is what I'm attracting.

Nut cases with other nut cases as ex-spouses.

I need that like I'd like to have root canal.

Next time I'll just stay at home, because I can't seem to get rid of this damn nut magnet I've got.

Copyright 2005 Thomas J Wolfenden

1 comment:

DivineMsN said...

I seem to attract bad drivers. Who put the spell on us!