Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Where'd they go?

One of the things I truly missed living in Arizona was the fireflies or lightning bugs on a summer evening. My younger sister and I would spend hours chasing them in my back yard and putting them in mayonnaise jars with holes punched it the lids to let air in. At the end of our hunts, we'd let them free and witness a explosion of blinking green light as they flew off slowly. It's one of my fondest childhood memories.

When I moved back east and settled here in West Virginia, again I was treated to the pleasant scene nightly as star-lit fields would come alive after dark with their flashing beacons.

That is until a few nights ago. I noticed that they were gone. I didn't see one of the little guys all night at work, nor did I see any last night. With the heat and humidity up as high as it has been, I'd expect to see thousands of them for as I remember, the hotter and more humid the night was, the more they'd flash their little lures...

But it seems like they're gone completely for some odd reason.

Has anyone else noticed them missing?

Copyright 2005 Thomas J Wolfenden

No comments: