Saturday, September 03, 2005

I stand corrected

My Father taught me a lot of really good life-lessons, one of them being that to be a truly great man is always admit when you are wrong.

And I was wrong the other day.

Dead wrong.

Wednesday I wrote about Hurricane Katrina and how I didn't expect to see any other nations pitching in to help, and historically I should have been right because as far as I can remember it's never happened.

But again, I might be wrong there also.

This morning at work I'm reading today's Beckley, WV newspaper, The Register~Herald, and on page 11A the headline shouted out to me:

"Several nations offering aid to U.S."

Wow.

Over 50 nations from Cuba to Russia, Saudi Arabia, Iran and Sri Lanka have pledged assistance.

Secretary of State Condaleeza Rice, in an attempt to dispute the report out of Moscow to the contrary said that "No offer of aid has been turned down"

Australia had donated $8 million to the American Red Cross. Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said;

" The United States is so often at the forefront of international aid efforts to help less fortunate nations so it is only fitting that Australia should contribute to the daunting task of helping the thousands of American citizens whose lives have been thrown into turmoil by this unprecedented disaster."

France also is sending two ships and several aircraft capable of airlifting tons of supplies, a disaster unit of 20 soldiers, an airborne emergency unit and a civil defense detachment.

In Halifax, the Canadians are fitting out three warships and a Coast Guard ship with food and emergency supplies and will set sail for New Orleans next Tuesday.

Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin is also releasing 30,000 barrels of oil and gasoline for US use.

Japan contributed $200,000 to the American Red Cross, and upon request has offered another $300,000 in tents, blankets, generators, portable water tanks and other equipment.

I stand before all of my loyal readers with my hat held humbly in my hands.

On behalf of the residents of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama who desperately need assistance I say thank you.


Copyright 2005 Thomas J Wolfenden

3 comments:

Sydney said...

Actually, a lot of people thought that other nations weren't offering to help us because the news didn't seem to COVER IT until the past day or so. Dunno why. But anyway, other nations have offered and we are most grateful. Now if our own disaster management agency could just get it together...

Lindsey said...

Good grief Tom...I don't think you were expecting that kind of response!

I understand your feelings...I wasn't sure if they were going to help either but that was simply b/c I'm not used to US having to receive help and like Syndney said...it wasn't reported in the news. But I'm extremely thankful for their support. My grandparents are in Mississippi right now and in desperate need of help...so whatever they can get is great.

P.S. Can you teach other men to confess when they're wrong?

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Dutchman: Very valid points you've made and regretfully I have to agree with you on most of them. As for the the US owing the UN a lot of $$$, I'm sorry to say it's the other way around, the UN owes the US millions of dollars just in back rent on the UN Headquarters in NYC.

I'm sorry to say I've never neen to Holland. I wanted to when I was in Europe in 1986. My uncle was there though, in Eindhoven, back in 1944...

Syd: True...

Linny: My dad taugh me well... I don't get how other guys just don't see it... You're wrong, fess up. It a shitload easier that way in the long run. But I'll tell you one thing, when I know I'm rightm I'll go down kicking and screaming!

Grey Tie: Amen to Linny or me? lol