Thursday, April 06, 2006

I'm beside myself

With disbelief...

Remember how I've been talking about starting the Firefighter Level 1 course this weekend? How I've been telling my supervisor I need the next five weekends off? How I've been telling him also for the last three months?
Well...
I get to work last night and there's a note for me in my patrol vehicle...
"Tom, I need you at the mine in Raven this weekend, and indefinitely because I still haven't hired someone."
I wouldn't be so upset right now if it was a spur-of-the-moment emergency. Those things do happen in my line of work and I've come to expect them. But I've been telling this man for Three fucking months that I'd be needing this time off.
Sure, the overtime pay will be great, and I might even be able to take my United Kingdom vacation this year if I get much more. But that's not the point.
The point is that he's been too fucking lazy to hire anyone else, or even have someone lined up after he fired Barney when he's known for three months I'd be starting the fire school this week. It's bad enough I missed a Vehicle Extracation class last weekend given by the Princeton Fire Department that I really wanted to take. (That's where I would have gotten to cut up a car with the Jaws Of Life... Gotten out a lot of pent-up frustrations)
Anyway, now I'm not going to be taking the Level 1 class.
Why do I always have to suffer fools like this?
The "Peter Principle" is alive and well where I work.
Copyright 2006 Thomas J Wolfenden

8 comments:

The Ramblin Hillbilly said...

Fuck him he can hire somebody tomorow. have Stan talk to him. Take the class

Courtney O. said...

OH HELL NO! screw that - I wouldn't do it...

Mrs. S. said...

What a jack ass! I'd tell him to stick it!

berly02 said...

That sucks.
Tell him to f off.

phlegmfatale said...

Stick to your guns, RT. The fact that he's known forever and is trying to put YOU off demonstrates a serious disregard for you. This is fucked up to a disappointing degree.

Dirk said...

It's fairly easy to beat your chest and make alpha male noises when the outcome won't affect you. I don't know what the job prospects are in Athens or what your finances are like, but I'd be looking around. There'll be other courses.
The fact that he has such a disregard for you, coupled with a complete lack of organisational skills would seem to hint that he would give you your cards if you got too belligerent.

.- said...

bummed
-in my life-
i'd just lose my job if i said anything

Lisa said...

Grrr. I'm angry FOR you!