Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Plans, plans and more plans

Even though my trip to the UK is still in the planning stages, things are humming along quite nicely. Airfares are still relatively low, and since you can go almost anywhere in Britain, Scotland and Wales on a train, BritRail has a smoking great deal on a 15-day railpass. Ride anywhere in the UK, get on and off as many trains at as many stops as you want for one low price. The First Class pass is just slightly higher, so I might just splurge on that.
So that's what I'm planning to do. Fly into London, buy a railway map and just head off and explore. Stop someplace, find a room overnight and head out again.
Seeing the English countryside by rail is something I've always wanted to do. There are some other things that are on my Must See list, like Stonehenge:
Stops at the several sites of the Imperial War Museum:
And this is a definite Must See, the Nene Valley Railway:
Of course I'll do the other things like see and ride the London Tube, Piccadilly Circus, Soho... I'll be taking two weeks so who knows what I'll get into?
Anyway, that's the plans as of now and now I've got some other pressing matters taken care of and the overtime pay keeps coming in, I' might be able to do this the first two weeks in September of this year. That's what I'm hoping for at least.
Finally, doing something for Me for a change... Doing what I want.
Of course I'll have the camera with me and will be taking shitloads of photographs...
Anyone else have any ideas on what else I should do? I was thinking of heading across the English Channel for a day to see the Normandy beaches, and trying to find the town in Scotland where my father's army unit was billeted before the Normandy invasion in 1944... But we'll see.
Copyright 2006 Thomas J Wolfenden

11 comments:

The Ramblin Hillbilly said...

You should really consider pissing on france. I don't care if it's right on the order just piss on the place, literally.

Kat_womanx2 said...

Hmmmmmmmmm how about busting the Loch Ness Monster myth for us

Sherri Sanders said...

you should definitely bring goodies back for your friends. :D

Sounds like fun, I'm envious.

cantellya said...

I like presents!
I'm excited for you to go! I can't wait to see your pics!
When is the next Dear RT post?

tsduff said...

This is starting to sound like a trip filled with emotional stopping points. Normandy... Scotland... it sounds wonderful. I hope you truly enjoy every minute, and that you indeed get to visit all the places you want.

Dirk said...

Don't tell me that you're not going to visit Thomas the Tank Engine?
What a waste of a trip.

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Wow...that sounds wonderful. I'm jealous as my only visits outside the US have been Canada, Mexico, and Bermuda. (And soon enough the Bahamas) Of course, me being me, I am dreaming of the day when I will be going on my own Eurpo-Trip.

I am very interested in visiting all that you mentioned, but I would like to spend some extra time is Scotland also when I go. Scotland is my roots.

Can't wait to see your photos!

Cheryl said...

You most definitey deserve the trip. England is beautiful too! Take lots of pics, ok?

Crazy Me said...

I used to be married to a Brit and we traveled there quite often. My absolute favorite city is York. It's got the original Viking walls around the city and this really cool town crier that will shout out where you are visiting from. I also really like Edinborough (sp) in Scottland. Absolutely beautiful.

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Bill: I'd piss on France as a whole, but Normandy is just a little different.

Kat: Good idea, but I'll only be there for two weeks. Maybe I can get National Geographic to underwrite another trip for that on a later date?

Sherri: What kind of goodies? England isn't really known for it's fine cusine...

Cant: Check today. I'll probably do a 'Ask RT' every Wednesday

Tsduff: Normandy would be extremely emotional. So many men lost thier lives in one day there so the rest of us could live free.

Dirk: What's wrong with Thomas the Tank Engine? I loved him growing up!

Outdoorsy Girl: Ireland & England are mine. Been to Europe before, but this time it'll be on my terms and I'll get to see what I want to see. I'd really like to get back to Germany, Austria, Belgium again too. All great places.

Miss Fire: Oh, how I need a vacation! It's been over ten years since I've really had a good one and I'm long overdue for the "Mental Health Days"

Cheryl: Of course I'll take tons of pics!

Crazy Me: I really wish I could take more than two weeks. There's so much to see and do...

phlegmfatale said...

One thing you've GOT to do is take advantage of the wonderful bakeries they have there. When I'm in the UK and running around, I'll pop in a bakery and pick up a beef curry pasty (under $2) and take it on the train with me. It's a beef curry encased in a kind of puff pastry. They pronounce it past-ee, by the way - rhymes with last-me. They also have a cream-filled donut thingie that is out of this world. You'll find these aplenty at any bakery there. This is the perfect food for pulling out of your bag when you're on a train. Also, lots of the trains have a little food-cart person who comes by with bags of potato chips (crisps) and beer! Yes, lovely, fresh beer in cans and bottles. Life is sweet. I so envy your upcoming trip. Can't wait til I can go back too. Oh, and Scotland is soooo beautiful. Just be careful walking around at night in the big cities.