Monday, April 10, 2006

Not worth it

So I've be exiled to the coal mine every weekend for the last several weeks, and I really don't see an end to it just yet. Talked to my boss last night and he says he might have someone hired... But I'll still have to work next weekend too because I'm the one who'll be training him.
Frankly, I don't see how it's worth it to the company I work for. It's only a weekend contract, the mine has their own people during the week... And considering the company is paying me double what the contract pays in the first place, not including the overtime... From Friday afternoon until 2 AM this morning I worked thirty four hours... Half of that was overtime. They've also been paying for my motel room every weekend, and the use of the company vehicle and fuel costs.
It's not worth it.
They've lost a shitload of money every time I work down there... But who am I to argue. I like the overtime pay. Especially now I've missed my firefighter level 1 class I've got to make it worth it to me.
But if I was running this company I'd have dropped this contract like a hot potato months ago. It's so far removed from every other contract the company has, pays the least and because of it's location and the hours required it's hard to keep filled.
The one redeeming quality of the place is the few people I do come into contact with there are really great, and the scenery is really pretty.
But for the time being, I'm still exiled...
Copyright 2006 Thomas J Wolfenden

8 comments:

Sherri Sanders said...

Just think of all that OT pay!! That's gotta take your mind off the coal dust accumulated in all the cracks and crevices. :D

Dirk said...

Your boss prolly dint read the fine print. There could be a penalty/ non-perfomance clause in there that would cost him more money to get out of the contract than it does to fulfil it.
In Astraya he would declare bankruptcy and transfer all his assets/ good contracts over to another company.

tsduff said...

Good heavens, that is a helluva way to be spending your weekends.... glad you are upbeat about it. Putting that OT in the bank toward your trip, right?

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Sherri: About that coal dust, you want to... Nevermind.

Dirk: I think he thought of that myself, but I think it's more of 'doing a favor for a friend' thing...

Tsduff: It's most definately going towards my UK trip. If this keeps up I'll be able to go by September

Cheryl said...

It just goes to show that people running companies aren't always the brightest bulbs.

phlegmfatale said...

Uh, we'll be wanting pictures of coal dust in, um. Nevermind.

Courtney O. said...

OT pay is nice. Bummer about your class though :(
And it's my theory that many a supervisor got promoted up the ranks so that their own supervisors didnt have to deal with them anymore and didnt have to deal with the paperwork of firing them. Long story short - they aren't always the sharpest tools in the shed...lol

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Phlegmfatale: ;)

Cheryl & Cortney: I'd strongly suggest you get the book "The Peter Principle" I'd sort of like my guidbook for life and it explains a lot of things in life that most of us sane people say 'WTF' about...